Have you been working for years, achieving and progressing in your sustainability roles? Or, are you realising that you’d like to move into sustainability from a different career? Are you looking to return to work after a career break? Perhaps you have recently arrived in the UK and are keen to build up your professional network?
Mid-career women can have a sense of being at a crossroads – perhaps our lives and careers are reaching a point where reflection, regrouping and re-energising are needed.
If this sounds familiar, please join us at ‘She is Still Sustainable’!
‘She Is Still Sustainable’ is an event for mid-career women, organised by mid-career women, who are working in, or aspiring to shift their work into, sustainability. It is an opportunity to meet and connect more meaningfully with like-minded women at a similar stage of their lives.
There will be plenty of time for conversation and networking, as well as hearing from engaging speakers:
- Dr Becky Willis, independent researcher, former vice-chair of the Sustainable Development Commission.
- Solitaire Townsend, co-founder Futerra, and author of The Happy Hero.
- Sara Parkin OBE, Principal Associate of The Sustainability Literacy Project, author of The Positive Deviant: Sustainability Leadership in a perverse world, co-founder of Forum for the Future and former UK and European Green Party activist.
- Dr Joanna Wimpenny author of Ten Thousand Birds: Ornithology Since Darwin.
- Sophy Banks, psychotherapist and co-founder of Transition Training and Inner Transition.
- Bev Milner Simonds, former HR executive who now organises local food festivals, and sits on the Equality and Diversity Board of the Homes and Communities Agency.
- Katherine Bojczuk, Environmental Sustainability Manager, University of Westminster.
You can download the draft agenda here: SiSS 2019 agenda v3.
Like all SiS events, it is organised by volunteers for love not money, in order to keep the price accessible. Our aim is for you to enjoy engaging with other like-minded women, learning by sharing experiences, and leaving with a sense of positivity about your achievements and your future path, with a new network of women in sustainability. We want to create an event where we can harness our collective spirit and our vitality as we look to the future. SiSS will be a warm, safe, friendly event which is refreshing, inspiring and supportive, embracing difference as well as discovering some shared realities of our lived experience.
This event is being organised by Alina Congreve (Climate-KIC), Claire Kneller (WRAP) and Penny Walker, three women working in sustainability with a rich and diverse breadth of experience between them, and all committed to contributing to a positive and viable future.
You will have the opportunity to share stories, concerns, hopes, expectations and challenges, as well as listening to and engaging with other women about their career experience to date and their ongoing ambitions in their world of work. Together we will explore ideas of gender and diversity, life stories and agency, while acknowledging the difficult ecological and political realities of the world today. You will have the opportunity to bring your own ideas and curiosity to the open space discussions, think through your career with others, learning from other women’s experiences and plan for the next stage of your life and work in sustainability.
Come along and join us! For tickets please visit the She Is Still Sustainable page on Eventbrite.
Dates: 1 – 2 April 2019
The event will be held over two half days, beginning at 1pm and finishing at 2pm on the second day. There will be an evening meal with a speaker on the 1st. We are asking for contributions of £70 per person to cover direct costs for the event which includes the evening reception and a dinner at Tibits vegetarian restaurant. Special thanks to the University of Westminster for their generous sponsorship of the venue.
Location: Central London, near Oxford Circus.
For more information SheIsStillSustainable@gmail.com