Come join other women starting out their sustainability careers on Friday 20th April for the first Scottish She is Sustainable event! This one-day interactive workshop will offer a forum to share insights and discuss some of the many challenges women face in the workplace. From the gender pay gap to recent equality movements such as Time’s Up, Me Too and Mentor Her, She is Sustainable (SiS) aims to create a positive and informal environment to ask the tough questions:
Is the glass ceiling a real thing? Does it matter how we define success? Does this impact how we maintain a work-life balance? Should you try to follow the male example or create a style of your own? How can we learn to spot ‘unconscious bias’ and what can you do about it?
Confirmed speakers include:
- Professor Lesley Sawers OBE, Scotland & GB Commissioner of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, Deputy Chair of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA), and Director at GenAnalytics.
- Rebecca Willis, independent researcher with twenty years’ experience in environment and sustainability policy and practice, former Vice-Chair of the Sustainable Development Commission.
- Fran van Dijk, Partner at One Stone Advisors, an experienced sustainability strategy and communications expert, Board Member of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency and Chair of the Macaulay Development Trust.
- Rebecca McLean, CEnv, technical manager for Sweco with over 14 years’ experience in environmental consultancy, specialising in air quality and EIA, with a keen interest in fashion and the challenges of creating a wider circular economy.
- Dr Sarah Birrell Ivory, Early Career Fellow in Climate Change and Business Strategy at the University of Edinburgh Business School, Deputy Director of the Sustainable Business Initiative, and Co-Director of the Centre for Business and Climate Change.
Like all SiS events, this has been facilitated by volunteers for love not money, in order to keep the price accessible. Our aim is to bring together early-career women to be inspired by each other, to learn by sharing experiences, and to leave with a sense of positivity surrounding our achievements and future paths – all whilst creating a new network of women in sustainability in Scotland.
This event is being organised by Robyn Lockyer and McKenna Smith, two early-career women themselves breaking into the sustainability sector. We are fully committed to engaging with others to instigate positive change and a shared sense of self around the opportunities and challenges women face in all aspects of life and work.
- Date: Friday 20th April, 2018
- Venue: Paterson’s Land, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh
- Time: Full day programme starting from 10:00. Dinner with keynote speech from Professor Lesley Sawers OBE, 18:00 – 20:30.
- Cost: £30 (incl. 2-course dinner and light refreshments throughout the day)
A draft programme for the day can be found here. A finalised version will be circulated to all attendees one week before the event. There are a limited number of tickets to be allocated on a first-come, first served basis. It is therefore advised that you book early to avoid disappointment. Tickets are available to book online from the She Is Sustainable Picatic page. For any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to welcoming you to Scotland’s first She Is Sustainable gathering!